Friday 30 March 2007

My Toe Bleeds Betty

Has anyone really noticed that the 'Dawn Chorus' is actually quite a few choruses?

Seeing as Beloved does quite a few early starts (i.e. alarm clock going off any time from 0400) I seem to have got into the habit of automatically waking BEFORE his alarm goes off ...just in case he oversleeps - hence being able to appreciate the wonderful birds in our garden. BUT - they each seem to wait until I'm just dropping off again before the next one starts up - just to remind me that they are there. I'm no twitching expert but I think I know most of them individually now by their particular song. However, when you've said good morning to Mr & Mrs Blue Tit, a passing Hi to the blackbird family, the Jay, the magpies, the great tits, a warm hello to Mrs Robin and umpteen others - and we are blessed with quite a few - I'm just about ready to get back for a bit of sleep.

THEN ..... the wood pigeon starts up - you know the 'call' it makes: "my toe bleeds betty" - well if I get my hands on the ****** there'll be more than his toe bleeding!
- and this from a bird/animal lover!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

would you happen to know, where the ' my toe bleeds betty' suggestion comes from? i remeber my grandma using it and was reminded of it the other day it's driving me mad!!! I wondered if she'd made it up or if it was an official rhyme?